Article By: Megan Stremick
Now that you’ve had a week to master Warrior 1 let’s continue the theme of the mommy warrior with Warrior 2, strengthening both your peace-of-mind and your thighs. This is a perfect pose to do for those times that you’re feeling a little less than the awesome mommy that you are; like when you beat yourself up over that Krispy Kreme you indulged in, your mother-in-law made another comment about the way you choose to discipline your kids, or instead of ‘politely’ hanging up on the solicitor on the phone you decided to release your frustration with a string of four letter words. Follow the How To below and you will feel like a peaceful, strong, and beautiful mommy in no time.
Warrior 2 Benefits:
- Promotes flexibility in the inner thighs, hips, groin, ankles and chest
- Strengthens the thighs, shoulders and arms
- Builds stamina
- Relieves back pain
Warrior 2 How To:
- Stand in Mountain pose, reach your arms out to a T then step your feet out to the sides so that your ankles line up underneath your wrists—yes, your stance should be that wide.
- Keep your arms out to a T. Spin your right leg open so that your right toes are now pointing in the same direction as your right fingertips.
- Pivot your left heel back so that your left foot is now at an angle
- Bend your right knee so that it sits above the ankle. Look down to make sure that you can see your front big toe and the knee is in line with the second toe (this alignment protects the knee and the hips).
- The torso sits right above the hips, do not lean the torso over the front thigh—the spine should be straight.
- Keep the back leg straight and strong by reaching down through the outer arch of the back foot.
- Take a deep inhale and lift the chest up, exhale as you relax the shoulders down away from your ears.
- Focus your gaze is out over your front middle finger.
- Hold for five deep breaths or as long as you can while breathing in through the nose and out through the nose
- Repeat on the left side.
Warrior 2 Cautions:
- High Blood Pressure
- Severe neck or back discomfort